4 to 6 servings
- 3 green plantains
- Approximately 2 cups Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 teaspoons salt OR powdered Adobo seasoning, optional
- As needed Mazola® No-Stick Canola or Butter Flavored Cooking Spray
- Step 1) Peel plantains and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch slices. Place in bowl of salted water. Heat oil in a large deep-sided skillet or frying pan to 325°F. Drain plantain slices and pat dry. Fry the slices for about 2 minutes per side or until golden.
- Step 2) Remove from oil and drain on paper towels until cool enough to handle. Flatten each piece between sheets of waxed paper or foil using a tostonera press or the back of a spatula to about 1/4-inch thickness. (First spray waxed paper or foil with cooking spray to prevent sticking.)
- Step 3) Refry the flattened Tostones for about 4 minutes per side or until browned and crispy. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt or Adobo seasoning, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve Tostones with a small dish of fresh Mojo (see recipe) for dipping.