Arroz Con Pollo Recipe (Mexico)
6 to 8 servings
1 hr 10 mins
- 3 pound s bone-in chicken pieces (breasts, thighs
- 2 teaspoons leaf oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- 3-1/2 cups hot water
- 1 whole bay leaves
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- OR paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio OR medium grain rice
- 1/2 cup sliced Manzanilla OR Spanish green olives
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- Fresh minced cilantro OR parsley for garnish
- Step 1) Rinse chicken, remove excess fat and pat dry. Sprinkle chicken with oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Step 2) Stir bouillon powder into hot water to make broth; add bay leaf and set aside.
- Step 3) Heat oil in a large, deep sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Transfer chicken to a plate, drizzle with lime juice; cover and set aside.
- Step 4) Reduce heat to medium, add chorizo, onion, bell pepper and garlic to pan; mix well. Stir in tomato sauce and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add paprika, cumin, turmeric and rice; cook one minute, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Step 5) Pour hot broth and bay leaf into rice, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a boil. Add chicken, nestling into the rice mixture.
- Step 6) Cover; reduce heat and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Sprinkle with olives and peas; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Prior to serving, fluff rice with a fork and garnish with cilantro or parsley.
- Recipe tip: This dish is sometimes seasoned with saffron which is expensive but does lend a unique depth of flavor. If you have some; try adding 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon saffron to the chicken broth used in this dish for a very authentic taste. Eliminate the turmeric.