Fresh and Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime peel
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Step 1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush one side of tortillas with oil. Place tortillas directly on oven rack and bake 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Step 2) Combine chicken broth, chicken, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin and salt into a large pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Step 3) Remove chicken from pot and slightly cool on cutting board. Shred chicken using two forks and return to stockpot. Stir in grated lime peel and cilantro. Simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Step 4) Serve each bowl topped with crumbled baked tortillas.