Chinese Batter Fried Shrimp
15 appetizer servings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- About 2-1/2 cups Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined (thawed
- Combine flour and corn starch in a medium bowl. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup water and soy sauce until smooth. Stir in additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until batter is just thick enough to coat shrimp (about the consistency of very heavy cream).
- Pour oil into 2-quart saucepan, filling no more than 1/3 full. Heat over medium heat to 350°F.
- Stir 1 tablespoon of the hot oil into batter. Stir in baking powder.
- Coat shrimp with batter. Carefully add shrimp, a few at a time to hot oil; fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.