Rice and Black Beans Recipe (Moros y Cristianos)
- As needed Mazola® No-Stick Canola or Butter Flavored Cooking Spray
- 2 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) black beans, undrained
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 whole bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Small dash ground allspice
- Or ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Step 1) Spray large skillet generously with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add bacon, onion, green pepper and garlic; cook until soft, stirring frequently.
- Step 2) Stir in undrained beans, water, rice, vinegar, bay leaf, cumin, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Step 3) Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Add allspice, olives and cilantro, if desired. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.