Crispy Fried Chicken
4 to 6 servings
- Approximately 1 quart Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2-1/2 to 3 pound s/1.5 kg chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1 cup buttermilk OR sour milk
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black medium grind pepper
- Pour 3 to 4 inches of oil in a deep fryer, according to manufacturer's directions, or large deep frying pan. Heat oil to 325°F.
- Pat chicken dry using paper towels and place in a large shallow bowl. Pour buttermilk over chicken to coat.
- Combine flour, salt, and spices in a large resealable plastic bag. Place drained chicken pieces in bag with flour mixture; seal bag and shake to coat.
- Carefully add chicken to the oil and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes per batch in deep fryer, turning once (2 batches total). For stove top skillet, fry 20 to 25 minutes, turning once, until fork tender and deep golden brown.
- RECIPE TIPS: Do not fill stove-top skillet more than 1/3 full with oil. Cook in two batches so as not to over-crowd the fryer or skillet. Allow oil temperature a minute or two to recover between batches. Dark meat may require a slightly longer cooking time than white. To make sour milk, add 2 teaspoons cider vinegar to 1 cup milk.