Hummingbird Cake Recipe with Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple (undrained)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter OR margaine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut for garnish, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, for garnish
- Step 1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Step 2) Mix sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger and pineapple; mixing well. Fold in coconut and nuts.
- Step 3) Pour batter into a greased 9-inch square pan.
- Step 4) Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Frost when cooled.
- For frosting: beat cream cheese and butter together in medium bowl. Mix in remaining frosting ingredients and blend until frosting is desired spreading consistency.
- Garnish with 1/4 cup toasted coconut and 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, if desired.