Gluten-Free Pumpernickel Bread
3 hrs 17 mins
2 hrs 52 mins
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope yeast, ADY or traditional
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons xanthum gum
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3 tablespoons molasses (full flavor molasses is recommended)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- Heat water until warm (100° to 110°F). Add yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar. Allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk together brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, milk, cocoa, onion, xanthum gum, salt, coffee, 1 teaspoon sugar and caraway seed in a large mixer bowl.
- Combine molasses, vinegar, eggs and oil in a medium bowl until well blended. Add molasses mixture and yeast mixture to dry ingredients. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Cover bowl and allow dough to rise until doubled in size, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Mix dough on medium high speed for 2 minutes. Portion dough evenly into 2 greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover and let dough rise until doubled in size about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes in a preheated 375°F oven. Cool on wire rack.