Crispy Polenta with Mozzarella, Parmesan and Roasted Tomato Marinara
4 to 6 servings (2 polenta cakes per serving)
- 1 tube (24 ounces) precooked polenta
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3–4 cups Mazola® Corn Oil
- ¼ cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
Roasted Tomato Marinara
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon petite capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 3–4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil for garnishing, optional
- Slice polenta into 1/2-inch thick slices. Heat 1/2-inch oil in a deep-sided skillet over medium heat to 300° to 325°F. Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet and position next to the stovetop.
- Combine flour and salt in a shallow bowl. Lightly beat eggs and milk in a second shallow bowl. Pour panko bread crumbs into a third bowl. Dip each polenta cake in the flour, turning to coat and tapping off excess. Then dip in the eggs letting the excess drip off; press into the panko crumbs coating well. Carefully add polenta cakes to the oil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Cook in batches to prevent overcrowding. Transfer the cooked polenta cakes to the cooling rack.
- To make marinara, heat corn oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until softened. Stir in basil, garlic, oregano and sugar. Stir in tomatoes and capers; reduce heat to low. Season with salt and pepper; cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, place crispy polenta cakes on plate, top with Roasted Tomato Marinara Sauce and cheeses. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.