Beans with Cumin Seed Recipe
10 hrs 15 mins
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 2 ounces (60 g) salt pork or bacon, divided
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/4 teaspoons whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Step 1) Wash beans; cover with water and soak 8 hours or overnight.
- Step 2) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan. Add half the salt pork and onion, cooking until pork is crisp. Add cumin seeds, garlic and black pepper. Drain beans; add to pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours until beans are tender. Add salt. Drain any remaining oil.
- Step 3) Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil, salt pork and onions in a small skillet and cook until pork is crisp. Add to beans and serve.
- Refried bean variation: Reserve cooking liquid. Heat remaining oil, salt pork and onions in a large skillet until pork is crisp. Add drained beans and mash with a wooden spoon to desired consistency. Add reserved liquid until mixture is creamy.