Bacon and Cheddar Fluffins
12 fluffins or 36 minis
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
(OR substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup all-purpose)
- 1 envelope yeast rapid or quick rise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups very warm water (120℉ to 130℉)
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- OR Mazola® Corn Oil
- 8 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled (about 2/3 cup )
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup cubed (1/2-inch) sharp cheddar cheese OR shredded if making minis
Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in large mixer bowl. Add water and bacon grease; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Gradually add remaining 1-1/4 cups flour to make a stiff yet sticky dough. Stir in bacon, green onion and cheese. Cover bowl and let rest 10 minutes.
Portion dough into 12 (2-1/2 inch) generously greased muffin cups OR 36 mini muffin cups using a scoop or two spoons (do not use paper liners). Cover and let rise 35 to 45 minutes. Dough will rise, but not double in size.
Bake in preheated 375℉ oven for 20 to 25 minutes (17 to 20 minutes for minis) until well browned. Let cool on wire rack for 2 minutes. Run a knife around each roll to remove from pan. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Freezer Instructions: Completely cool fluffins and place in an airtight container to freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator. Microwave for 15 to 20 seconds and serve immediately.