Caprese French Bread Pizza
8 appetizer servings/4 entree servings
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, almonds OR walnuts
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1 loaf French OR Italian bread, halved lengthwise
- 10 ounces (about 2 cups ) fresh grape OR cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tub (8 ounces) fresh ciliegnine mozzarella, drained (OR
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Fresh basil leaves for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Puree pesto ingredients in a food processor until well blended.
- Place bread halves cut-side up on a baking sheet lined with foil. (Crumple foil under edges of bread, if needed, to prevent tipping).
- Spread pesto evenly onto bread surface. Top with tomatoes and mozzarella. Sprinkle with shredded Italian cheese and place in oven. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until cheeses melt and brown slightly. Transfer to cutting board; garnish with sliced fresh basil leaves. Slice and serve immediately.
- Recipe note: Try grilling these delicious pizzas. This topping is also great on ciabatta bread, baguettes, focaccia or precooked pizza crusts.