Skillet Chicken with Tomato Rice and Beans Recipe
4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Sobrecitos™ Tomato Flavor Bouillon Packets
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- OR paprika
- 2 pound s chicken thighs and/or drumsticks, with or without skin
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 cups long grain OR converted rice
- 1-1/2 cups fresh OR frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Sobrecitos™ Tomato Flavor Bouillon Packets
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, optional
- Chopped fresh cilantro OR parsley, optional
- Step 1) Combine 1 tablespoon bouillon powder and paprika; sprinkle over chicken, patting to coat thoroughly.
- Step 2) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 5 to 7 minutes, turning once, until chicken is browned. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Step 3) Add onion to skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft. Stir in rice and cook for 3 minutes or until the rice just begins to brown. Stir in corn, black beans and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add water, 2 tablespoons bouillon powder and diced tomatoes. Stir to mix well; bring to a boil. Add chicken, nestling into the rice.
- Step 4) Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Sprinkle with peas, if desired; cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork before serving. Garnish with cilantro or parsley, if desired.