Oven-Baked Empanadas with Chicken Stew
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- ½ of an onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For putting the empanadas together:
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Combine all dough ingredients and mix well until a thick dough forms.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes while covered.
- Boil chicken in water. Once the chicken is cooked, shred it using two forks.
- Add the chicken back to the sautée pan with the Mazola® Corn Oil. Add onion and jalapeño along with 1 cup of water, tomato bouillon and garlic powder and then sautée until onions are tender.
Putting it all together
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Divide dough into desired empanada size and fill with chicken and cheese. Seal the edges of the empanada and place on a baking sheet leaving space between each (baking sheet can be lined with parchment paper).
- Brush the tops with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
The inspiration for my Empanadas recipe definitely comes from my grandma. It’s a recipe close to my heart because she would encourage my family and I to gather around the kitchen table to prepare interactive dishes like this one.
By Sabdi Almaguer of @Sizzling_WithSabdi