Marinara Sauce with Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- 2 teaspoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Step 1) Heat oil in a large, deep saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms and green pepper; cook 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and spices. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 2) Slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Pour 1/4 cup water into a large glass baking pan. Place halves, cut side down in pan. Microwave on HIGH for 15 to 17 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Step 3) Carefully turn over squash halves, so they are cut side up. Use a fork to scrap out the flesh into a large serving bowl. The fork will cause the squash to shed into long strands, similar to spaghetti.
- To serve: Place 1/2 cup of squash on plate, top with 1/2 cup of sauce. Thinly slice or chop cheese and garnish over top.