Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 teaspoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 cup diced onion, divided
- 1-1/2 cups diced celery, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces ground turkey breast OR ground chicken breast
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- 1 whole bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1/4 cup orzo
- 4 cups chopped escarole OR kale
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup onion and 1/2 cup celery. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until softened. Add 1 clove garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Place turkey, panko and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning in a medium-sized bowl. Add celery and onion mixture; mix until well dispersed. Form into small meatballs, about 1 teaspoon, on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat chicken broth in a Dutch oven. Add carrots, remaining onion, celery, garlic, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, bay leaf and black pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add meatballs and orzo and cook for an additional 7 to 8 minutes or until orzo is almost tender. Stir in escarole and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until orzo is tender. Top with Parmesan cheese before serving.