Salsa de Tomate (Tomato Sauce)
1 hr 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1-½ teaspoons black medium grind pepper
- 2 teaspoons leaf oregano
- Step 1) Heat corn oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, bay leaves, onion, green pepper, parsley, carrots and garlic. Cook until thoroughly browned, approximately 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Step 2) Stir in wine, sugar, chopped tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.
- Step 3) Add sea salt, black pepper and oregano leaf. Simmer an additional 30 to 45 minutes; stirring often.
- Step 4) Delicious served over any kind of pasta or gnocchi. Sauce freezes well for future meals.
- Recipe tip: to make this recipe vegetarian, omit the chicken thighs.