Drunken Apple Spinach Salad with Spiced Vinaigrette
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
- 1 cup cranapple juice
- 1/2 cup cherry flavored brandy
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples (use a crisp variety, such as Braeburn)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 5 ounces (4 cups fresh spinach leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup ) sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- Bring juice, brandy and vanilla to a boil over high heat in medium saucepan. Peel and core apples. Cut apples in fourths, then slice each fourth into 1/4-inch slices. Add apples to saucepan; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool for 1 hour (for optimum color).
- Whisk balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, corn oil and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl.
- Divide spinach leaves evenly between 4 to 6 salad plates. Sprinkle pecans and cheese over top. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Place an equal amount of apple slices on top of each salad. Serve.
- Recipe Note: To toast pecans, place in a single layer in a baking pan. Bake at 375°F for 5 to 7 minutes. Cool.