Cannellini Beans with Roasted Peppers and Rosemary Oil Recipe
8 to 10 servings
4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 35 mins
- 6 cups water (for soaking beans)
- 2 cups (1 pound) dried, cannellini beans
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (8 ounce) roasted red peppers, drained and minced (or 2 freshly roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup pitted and minced, good quality black olives (such as nicoise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- To prepare beans:
- Step 1) bring water and beans to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for one hour.
- Step 2) Drain beans and set aside. (Beans can also be soaked at room temperature overnight.)
- Step 3) Heat 3 tablespoons corn oil in large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sir in onion, carrot and celery and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Step 4) Add rosemary and garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add drained beans and chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Step 5) Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally until beans are tender and liquid is thickened.
- For garnish:
- Step 1) combine roasted red pepper, olives, lemon juice, salt, pepper and parsley in a small bowl and set aside. Heat corn oil, rosemary and garlic in a saucepan over low heat.
- Step 2) Heat for 2 minutes, then turn heat off and allow mixture to cool to room temperature. Strain oil into a small dish, discarding garlic and rosemary pieces.
- Step 3) To serve, ladle a serving of beans into each bowl, drizzle with rosemary oil and top with a spoonful of the peppers and olives.