100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes yeast, rapid or quick rise
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- Step 1) Combine 3-1/2 cups flour, undissolved yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl. Heat milk, water, honey and oil until very warm (120° to 130°F). Gradually add to flour mixture; beat 2 minutes at medium speed with electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Step 2) Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Step 3) Divide dough in half. Roll each half to 12 x 7-inch rectangle. Beginning at short end of each rectangle, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam sides down, in 2 greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch loaf pans. Cover.
- Step 4) Let rise in warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about 30 to 60 minutes.
- Step 5) Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; let cool on wire racks. (Note to test for doneness, internal temperature of bread should register 190°F in center of loaf.)
- Recipe Note: if using coarse ground flour, you may need to use less flour overall.