Turkey Meatballs with Marinara and Spaghetti Squash Recipe
1 hr 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon Corn Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) petite diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- Turkey Meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely minced fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons sweet basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- For marinara: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan. Add onions, carrots, and garlic. Sauté over medium heat until vegetables are just crisp-tender. Add zucchini, bell pepper and mushrooms; Sauté until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer for 30 minutes. For a thinner more traditional sauce, puree marinara in a large food processor or blender. Return pureed marinara to large saucepan. Or use an immersion blender to partially puree the sauce. This will produce a chunkier sauce.
- For turkey meatballs: Step 1) while marinara is simmering, combine ground turkey, egg, spinach, onion, basil, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a large mixing bowl (clean hands work best for this).
- Step 2) Portion into 16 meatballs (1-1/2 inch).
- Step 3) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs to skillet and brown all sides until cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove meatballs from skillet and add to marinara sauce.
- Step 4) Continue to cook marinara and meatballs for 10 minutes.
- For spaghetti squash: Step 1) Pierce squash thoroughly with a sharp knife; about 1-inch in depth. Place squash on a plate or shallow microwave-safe casserole. Microwave squash on HIGH for 8 to 10 minutes. Turn over and continue to microwave on HIGH for an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until squash is soft when pressed. Remove from microwave; let sit 5 minutes to cool.
- Step 2) Slice squash in half. Using a fork, lighlty scrape to remove seeds. Now, scrape the squash flesh from the skin into a large serving bowl. Top with marinara and turkey meatballs.
- Recipe Tip- Spaghetti squash can be baked for 1 hour in a 350℉ oven; pierce squash prior to baking.