Banh Xeo Recipe
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
- 1/4 cup dried yellow mung beans
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 ounces pork shoulder, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon black medium grind pepper
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 - 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions (1/6th inch)
- 2 to 4 teaspoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- Carrot Cucumber Pickle
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Ginger Lime Dipping Sauce
- Step 1) Soak mung beans in water for 45 minutes; drain thoroughly.
- Step 2) In a food processor or blender, puree rehydrated beans and coconut milk. Add rice flour, sugar, salt and turmeric; process to a smooth batter. Set aside.
- Step 3) Combine pork, shrimp, fish sauce, minced garlic, star anise and black pepper in a small mixing bowl. Toss with a fork for even coverage; marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 4) Heat 1 tablespoon corn oil in an 8-inch, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove star anise. Add pork mixture and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove meat from skillet, set aside.
- Step 5) Divide pork/shrimp mixture, mushrooms, bean sprouts and onions into 6 portions or mounds.
- Step 6) Heat 1 to 2 teaspoons corn oil over medium-high heat in the same non-stick skillet (use just enough to prevent sticking). Stir crepe batter and pour 1/3 to 1/2 cup batter into skillet. Rotate pan for even coverage, adding more oil if needed. The batter should make the traditional 'sizzling' noise. Place one portion of the meat/vegetables on one side of the crepe. Cover skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until bottom of crepe is brown and crispy. Fold crepe in half and slide onto platter. Keep warm in oven or immediately cut into wedges for placement in lettuce wrap.
- Step 7) Repeat with remaining batter and meat.
- To Assemble: Cut each crepe into three wedges. Place wedge in a slice of Bibb lettuce; add 1 to 2 tablespoons Carrot Cucumber Pickle and drizzle with Ginger Lime Dipping sauce. Roll up lettuce into a tight bundle.