Sweet and Spicy Rub for Roasted Chicken
About 3/4 cup
2 hrs 10 mins
- 2-1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (4 to 5 pound s) whole roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of rub mixture with the brown sugar; set aside. Place remaining rub mixture (about 1/2 cup) in an airtight container to store for future use.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry; place in a shallow pan. Rub oil over all sides of the chicken. Distribute the rub over the chicken, generously coating all surfaces.
- Roast for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until done (juices should run clear and a meat thermometer inserted in thigh should register 180°F).
- TIP: Serve on a bed of seasoned rice. To make, add 1 teaspoon rub seasoning to the cooking water of 2 cups rice. This will yield 6 cups cooked rice.
- Serving suggestions: Use rub on ribs, pork chops, turkey breast or even grilled chicken!