Zesty Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes Recipe
4 hrs 15 mins
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup shredded OR chopped carrots
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons no added salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- To taste, black medium grind pepper
- 1 / to chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (use / for mild or for spicy), optional
- 1 pound 98% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Step 1) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrots, mushrooms and corn. Sauté for 5 minutes until vegetables are slightly tender and onions are translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Step 2) Stir together tomato sauce, tomato paste, cumin, mustard, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and chipotle if desired, in a large bowl.
- Step 3) Add ground turkey to slow cooker, breaking up into smaller pieces with a large spoon or spatula. Add sautéed vegetables, tomato mixture and black beans; stir to combine.
- Step 4) Cover and cook 4 hours on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW.
- To serve, scoop a 1/2 cup portion on to a sliced bun.
- Recipe provide courtesy of Rebecca Scritchfield, MA, RD, ACSM Health Fitness Specialist