Stuffed Peppers with Ground Turkey, Brown Rice, Raisins and Almonds
- 6 large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- ¼ pound lean ground deli ham
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil, divided
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup white or brown rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut the tops off of your peppers and set them aside. Carefully pull out the seeds and membranes, creating a cavity inside.
- Dip the peppers into the boiling water, letting them cook for just 1½ to 2 minutes, and drain on a paper towel.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of Mazola® Corn Oil, in a skillet for 5 to 7 minutes until translucent followed with the ground turkey and deli ham until cooked through.
- Toss in the cooked rice, half of the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, raisins, toasted almonds, seasonings, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook until fully heated throughout.
- Lightly oil the casserole dish by using a paper towel and the remaining tablespoon of Mazola® Corn Oil to prevent sticking.
- Place the peppers in the casserole dish and spoon the meat and vegetable mixture into each of the prepared peppers.
- Top each pepper with a tablespoon of tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with a little oregano and chopped cilantro, and cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy!
By Ana Quincoces of @anaqcooks