Pink Beans and Yellow Rice Recipe
8 to 10 servings
3 hrs 20 mins
- 6 cups water (for soaking beans)
- 2 cups (1 pound) dried pink small red or pinto beans
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder or Mazola® Sobrecitos™ Tomato Flavor Bouillon Packets
- 6 cups warm water
- 1 medium boiling potato, diced
- ½ cup diced smoked ham
- ¼ cup Sofrito (see recipe)
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 cups medium grain rice, rinsed and drained*
- ½ cup Sofrito (see recipe)
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- 1 packet sazon seasoning with annatto
- 4 cups warm water
To prepare beans:
- Step 1) Bring water and beans to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for one hour. Or beans can be soaked at room temperature overnight. Drain beans and set aside.
- Step 2) Stir bouillon powder into 6 cups warm water in a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer with lid tilted for about 1 hour or until desired tenderness is reached.
To prepare rice:
- Step 1) Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until it just begins to turn golden. Stir in Sofrito, bouillon powder and Sazon seasoning; continue to cook for 1 minute. Add water and stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and serve with beans. Garnish with fresh avocado slices and cilantro sprigs, if desired.
- *If using enriched rice, do not rinse.