- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup minced bell pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) salmon, drained
- 1 egg
- 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 100% whole wheat hamburger buns
- Sliced tomatoes and lettuce for toppings
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, just until tender.
- Place salmon in a mixing bowl. Add onions and peppers, egg, torn bread, mustard, basil and black pepper; mix well. Form into 4, equal sized patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until evenly browned. Flip patties and cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until center is cooked through. Serve immediately on buns with tomatoes and lettuce.
- Recipe Note - Often canned salmon will also contain some bones; don't be discouraged! These calcium rich goodies crush very easily and add valuable nutrition when mixed all together.