Arroz Con Pollo Recipe (Puerto Rican)
6 to 8 servings
1 hr 10 mins
- 3 pound s bone-in chicken pieces (breasts, thighs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons leaf oregano
- 2 teaspoons powdered Adobo seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered annatto
- OR paprika
- 3-1/2 cups hot water
- 1 whole bay leaves
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup Sofrito (see recipe)
- 1 medium plum tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup minced smoked ham, bacon OR salt pork
- 1 packet Sazon seasoning
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio OR medium grain rice
- 1/2 cup Manzanilla OR Spanish green olives
- Fresh minced cilantro OR parsley for garnish
- Step 1) Rinse chicken, remove excess fat and pat dry. Sprinkle chicken with oregano and Adobo seasoning. Set aside or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Step 2) Stir bouillon powder and annatto into hot water to make broth. Add bay leaf and set aside.
- Step 3) Heat corn oil in a large, deep sided skillet or Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Transfer chicken to a plate; drizzle with juice, cover and set aside.
- Step 4) Reduce heat to medium. Add Sofrito, tomatoes and ham to pan; cook 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in Sazon, capers and rice; cook one minute, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium-high. Add broth mixture to rice, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil. Add chicken, nestling into the rice mixture.
- Step 5) Cover; reduce heat and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is almost absored. Sprinkle with olives; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Prior to serving, fluff rice with a fork and garnish with cilantro or parsley.
- Variations: Replace 1/2 cup of the water for the broth with dry white wine or beer. Roasted red pepper strips are often used to garnish this dish as well as thawed, frozen peas.