Black Beans and Rice
6 to 8 servings
2 hrs 30 mins
- 6 cups water (for soaking beans)
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1-1/2 cups diced onions
- 2 serrano OR jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- OR Mazola® Sobrecitos™ Tomato Flavor Bouillon Packets
- 1 whole bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh epazote (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1-1/2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- Bring water and beans to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan, over medium-high heat; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for one hour. (OR, beans may be soaked at room temperature overnight.) Drain beans and reserve.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in the same saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic, oregano and drained beans. Reduce heat and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add water and bouillon powder; pour over the beans and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Add bay leaf and epazote, if desired. Cook, stirring occasionally for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Remove bay leaf, stir in cilantro and served immediately over cooked rice.
- To make the rice, heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in rice and cook for 2 minutes or until light golden in color. Add water and bouillon powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a gentle boil, partially cover with a lid and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and has absorbed all of the broth.