Shrimp Soup Recipe (Caldo de Camarones)
- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 stalk celery, diced small
- 1 medium chayote squash, peeled
- 1 pound (21 to 25 count) unpeeled shrimp*
- 1 whole bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 2 Mazola® Sobrecitos™ Chicken Flavor Bouillon Packets
- OR 4 teaspoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- 1 Serrano chile pepper (optional)
- Step 1) Heat oil in a stock pot or large pan. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes until clear. Add carrots, celery and chayote. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Step 2) Add shrimp, bay leaf, water, bouillon and Serrano pepper, if desired. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- *Note: Unpeeled shrimp are more work to eat, but the shells impart more flavor to the finished dish.