Skillet Chicken and Amarillo Rice Recipe
4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- 3 cups hot tap water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 2 pound s chicken thighs and/or drumsticks, with or without skin
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1-1/2 cups long grain OR converted riced
- 1 cup fresh OR frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Chopped fresh cilantro OR parsley, optional
- Step 1) Stir 2 tablespoons of bouillon powder into hot water to make broth; stir in turmeric and cumin and set aside.
- Step 2) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons of bouillon powder. Cook chicken 10 minutes, turning once, until it is browned. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Step 3) Add onions and red bell pepper to skillet, reducing heat to medium. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in rice and cook for 3 minutes until it starts to brown. Add corn and garlic. Pour prepared broth into rice, stirring to mix well. Bring rice to a boil. Add chicken, nestling into the rice mixture.
- Step 4) Cover pan; reduce heat to low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Sprinkle with frozen peas. Cover and remove from heat; let rest 5 minutes. Prior to serving, fluff rice with a fork and garnish cilantro or parsley, if desired.