Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
26 to 28 cupcakes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1-1/2 cups butter OR margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons corn syrup, light
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- Optional, food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 26 to 28 muffin cups (2-1/2 inch) or line with paper liners.
- Combine water and cocoa powder in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until smooth and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla and mix for 1 to 2 minutes on medium speed until smooth. Add melted chocolate mixture and continue mixing for 1 minute or until well blended.
- Portion batter evenly into prepared baking cups filling each approximately two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Remove cupcakes from pans and allow to cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- For frosting: Beat butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt in a large mixing bowl until light and creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and 1/3 cup milk until fluffy, adding additional milk as needed to reach desired spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring, if desired. Pipe frosting generously onto cupcakes with a pastry bag and decorative tip. Note: If spreading frosting on cakes with a knife (instead of piping), use a half recipe of the frosting.