Steak Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa and Pickled Onions Recipe
1 hr 30 mins
- Steak Tacos:,
- 1-½ pounds flank steak
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup freshly-chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅓ cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ an orange,, juiced
- 10 white corn tortillas,, warmed
- Pico de gallo
- 1-½ pounds tomatillos
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 2 cloves (or more) garlic, optional
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1) Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Step 2) In a mixing bowl, stir together all of the marinade ingredients.
- Step 3) Place flank steak in a bowl or large zip-top bag and pour marinade over steak.
- Step 4) Seal bag or cover the container, and refrigerate, allowing the steak to marinate for between 2–5 hours.
- Step 5) Remove steak from the refrigerator 20 minutes before grilling.
- Step 6) Heat grill to high, and brush Mazola® Corn Oil lightly onto your steak. Lift steak from the bag of marinade, allowing excess marinade to drip off.
- Step 7) Place steak on the grill and cook for about 3–5 minutes per side, or until desired doneness (depending on whether you like your medium rare or well done).
- Step 8) Transfer steak to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and allow to rest 5 minutes. Cut the steak, against the grain, into very, very thin strips.
- Step 9) Warm corn tortillas on a hot dry skillet. Top with steak, pico de gallo, sliced avocado and hot sauce, if desired.
- For the salsa:
- Step 1) Preheat the grill at high heat.
- Step 2) Remove the papery husks from the tomatillos and rinse well.
- Step 3) Cut the tomatillos in half and place them on the grill for about 5–7 minutes to lightly blacken the skins of the tomatillos.
- Step 4) Place the cooked tomatillos, lime juice, onions, garlic, cilantro, chili peppers, and Mazola® Corn Oil in a blender or food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed.
- Step 5) Season with salt to taste.
- Step 6) Refrigerate until cool. Serve as topping for the tacos.
- Recipe by Chef Yisus @chefyisus