Beef Stew (Caldo de Res)
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 pound s beef shank, crosscut
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 chayote squash, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 ear corn, husked and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 bunch cliantro, chopped coarsely
- 3 Mazola® Sobrecitos™ Chicken Flavor Bouillon Packets
- OR 2 tablespoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- Salt to taste
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Chop the beef shank into large chunks, keeping some attached to the bone (the bone marrow is an important element of the recipe). Add the meat, water, garlic, celery and onions to a large stockpot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Skim off any foam and fat.
- Add the potatoes, chayote squash, corn and bouillon. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrots, zucchini and cilantro. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Adjust salt as needed.
- Serve in a large bowl. Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Recipe Note: This soup is traditionally served with Spanish rice and accompanied by chopped sides of onion and cilantro.