Pineapple Fish Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless catfish fillet
- 4 cups fish stock OR clam juice
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon red crushed pepper
- 2 medium okra, sliced
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup bean sprouts
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and sliced into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Several grinds black whole grinder pepper
- Step 1) Slice catfish into 1-inch thick portions. Bring fish stock or clam juice to a boil in a large stock pot over medium high heat; add catfish and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and add pineapple, star anise, crushed red pepper, okra and lime juice; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in bean sprouts, tomato wedges, fish sauce and sugar. Keep soup warm over low heat. Remove star anise before serving.
- Step 2) Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and fry until brown and crispy. Remove shallots from skillet with slotted spoon and place on paper toweling to drain. Grind fresh black pepper just before serving.
- To Serve: Ladle soup into serving bowls. Place shallots, mint and cilantro in small individual serving bowls. Let guests sprinkle soup with desired amount of shallots, mint and cilantro.